When it comes to skincare products, South Korea is always at the forefront of the game. As time goes by, maybe it’s time to pay closer attention to skincare products from our East neighbour — Japan.
With their natural-focused approach, Japanese products work best for people with sensitive skin and those who dislike using products containing too many chemical. Most of Japanese products are using natural ingredients.
If you have no idea where to start, we sum up 7 must-buy Japanese skincare products that you should buy when you’re traveling to Japan;
1. DHC Deep Cleansing Oil
This classic Japanese beauty product, DHC Deep Cleansing Oil, is not only the brand’s best seller. Believe it or not, one bottle is sold every 10 seconds worldwide. It is considered as one of the leading cleansing product at removing waterproof makeup.
Provides an intensive clean with its water-soluble formula
Rich in vitamins and antioxidants that nourishes and hydrates the skin but also protects from environmental, free-radical damage
Works on even the most stubborn waterproof cosmetics
Colorant- and paraben- free so it’s good for those with sensitive skin
It smells like olive which is good for chemical scent haters
Has thicker consistency, but it doesn’t equate to higher moisturization
2. Sumi Haigou Settuken Charcoal Bar Soap
Charcoal-infused skincare seem to be everyone’s favorite products these days. Bamboo charcoal soaps, activated charcoal powder, charcoal mask, charcoal shampoo — you name it, it’s everywhere.
No wonder it’s become that famous, charcoal has the capacity to deep clean and pull the unwanted excess oil from our skin, and also make pores smaller and cleaner.
The Sumi Haigou Settuken Charcoal Bar Soap contains activated charcoal sourced from Japan’s Kishu region.
- No dryness or flaking, leaves the skin moisturized at all times so it’s ideal for dry skin
- Works as both cleansers and exfoliators, they do a good job removing dirt and grease
- Good quantity product, lasts long (approx 1-2 months)
- Have a mild but distinct waxy fragrance
- Washes off gray
3. Poretol Baby Skin Peeling Gel
This gel texture peeling gel is designed to exfoliate skin thoroughly, removes dead skin, whiteheads, and blackheads and leaves your skin smooth and soft like baby skin. Use it for once or twice a week, maybe at weekends, to tackle the pollution from weekdays activities on your face.
- Deep cleansing (good bye dead skin cells, blackheads, and whiteheads!) after the first usage
- It has fine grits that won’t irritate your skin
- It has a noticeable watermelon scent that could feel disturbing for some people
4. Chojyu’s Collagen Solution Ball
Chojyu’s Collagen Source Solution Ball is a revolutionary new way to get your daily collagen intake in the most direct way possible. It forms in a cotton ball shape. Open a pack, wet it with your toner and rub it onto your skin immediately — it really is that simple!
- Contains high concentrate of collagen (three months worth condensed into a single pack)
- Very easy to apply
- Ideal for maintaining supple and youthful skin
- We haven’t found the downside of this product, yes it’s that amazing!
5. Shiseido Aqua Label Special Gel Cream
Shiseido Aqua Label Special Gel Cream acts as a lotion/toner, emulsion, essence, cream and mask. It’s like a 5-in-1 cream. What’s unique about this product is that it will always look like it’s a brand new product every single time you open it, because it will molded back to its original shape, soon after you take any product out of the jar.
- Nice texture, it has a jelly-like texture that glides onto the skin nicely
- Formulated with high concentration of collagen that is highly moisturizing and helps keep skin beautifully hydrated
- A multitasking cream, it saves your time and energy since you dont have to use several products anymore
- Its packaging is quite vulnerable
- Not travel friendly considering its 90g size
6. Kanebo Suisai Cleansing Powders
Kanebo Suisai Cleansing Powder is a powder facial cleanser which is a big hit in Japan right now. This tiny Hexagon-shaped clear powder that contains 0.4g of the product has won many beauty awards. It’s very easy to apply, the powder will instantly transform into a milky foam by adding a little water.
- Small, lightweight and single use packaging, it’s very convenient for travel junkie because it won’t take up much space. Besides, since it’s powder, you can easily pass through airport security checkpoints, unlike other liquid products.
- It’s less-irritating facial scrubs. It gently exfoliate your skin without slightest irritation because it doesn’t contain overly harsh microbeads.
- Remove any impurities without drying the skin, but please avoid everyday usage to prevent a little drying.
- Customizable, it depends on the amount of water you mix in. If you want a more gentle exfoliation, add more water and if you prefer more grits just add less water.
- Fragrance-free, doesn’t have any noticeable smell
- Need to be used immediately once opened, or the powder will start to change form
7. Perfect Whip Facial Wash by Shiseido Senka
Perfect Whip Facial Wash by Shiseido Senka is a facial cleanser from Shiseido’s affordable range of skin and body care. It is famous for the foam it creates, which is more thick and rich, foamy and airy which feels very soft on the skin and also satisfying.
- Brighten the face without stripping its natural moisture off
- Clean, soft and hydrated finish
- Effectively removes impurities and oils from face
- Suitable for all skin types
- Quite hard to form the foam unless you use additional tool like foaming net
- No additional skin benefits, just a pure effective daily cleanser
If you are convinced enough to have some of the products listed above for your healthier and prettier skin but you’re not planning to go to Japan in the near future, simply shop at Houzcall Store and your favorite Japanese skincare will be yours!